The Honors distinction offers a lighter credit load than the Honors degree program, so you can earn the distinction as a transfer student or if your major has strict requirements.
Honors Distinction Requirements
- Complete 9 academic credits of Frederick Honors College-approved courses
- Earn 3 academic credits from a global or experiential activity (including research, independent study, study abroad credits, internships, and co-ops)
- If the global or experiential activity requirement is not considered a Capstone experience, you will need to complete a separate Capstone experience. (To find courses that fulfill the Capstone requirement, go to the Class Search page in PeopleSoft and select “High Impact Practices” in the Course Attribute menu. Then, select Capstone Course in that menu.)
- Complete the Honors Outside the Classroom Curriculum (OCC)
- Earn a minimum 3.000 GPA
You can declare your intention to pursue the Honors distinction after completing at least one semester at Pitt with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.000.
Follow these steps to declare:
- Visit the Catalog of Opportunities website.
- Log in to the Catalog using your University of Pittsburgh username and password.
- Select Catalog of Opportunities dashboard on the top left corner.
- Search in the activities tab: Honors Distinction Declaration.
- Complete the declaration form.
You must declare the Honors distinction prior to beginning your last semester of enrollment at Pitt.